I am Reading

This blog is all about what I am reading and sharing my reading with you. I will recommend books for grown up reading and children to read.

Tuesday 28 January 2014

Dinner at Rose's by Danielle Hawkins

Dinner at Rose's was the debut novel by Otorohanga based Kiwi author Danielle Hawkins in 2012.  I previously reviewed Chocolate Cake for Breakfast, the first book by Hawkins I read, but this book I bought because I loved Chocolate Cake for Breakfast and I wanted more of Hawkins down to earth Kiwi chick lit.
 
This is the bio for Danielle Hawkins inside Dinner at Rose's:
 
Danielle Hawkins grew up on a sheep and beef farm near Otorohanga in New Zealand, and later studied veterinary science.  After graduating as a vet she met a very nice dairy farmer who became her husband.  Danielle spends two days a wee working as a large animal vet and the other five as housekeeper, cook and general dogsbody.  She has two small children - and when she is very lucky they nap simultaneously and she can write.
 
It is rather an amusing bio and explains how when she wrote Chocolate Cake for Breakfast she was able to describe the vet practices and calving process so well - so well, one wonders if some, if not all, of those vet experiences were ones Hawkins herself has experienced as a vet/farmer.  It also goes a long way to explain the empathy her books have with the rural lifestyle and work life, as the characters in Dinner at Rose's are again based in a rural town and on farms and lifestyle blocks.
 
So here are the cover and blurb bits for you to admire:
 


We are introduced to our heroine Jo Donnelly as she arrives at her Aunty Rose's house, fresh from her traumatic break with her long time doctor love in Melbourne.  Rose is not really her aunt, but Jo grew up down the road from Rose.... and we all know those close bonds that families who are not related to each other that can form relationships that are like family.

Rose has a nephew called Matt, Jo's best friend from childhood.  Something though has happened in their past to give their childhood friendship a twist.  Aunty Rose and Matt's younger sister Kim are bent on getting Jo and Matt together, despite Matt's mother Hazel trying to set him up for marriage with Cilla (aka Farmer Barbie).

Rose comes down with a life threatening illness and Jo, Matt and Kim band together to care for her, despite Hazel's unhelpfulness towards her own sister. 

Family secrets are revealed, as are past crushes and loves, new love is found and friendships strengthened as this book progresses.

I loved Chocolate Cake for Breakfast so much I re-read it again within three weeks of the first read... and I don't think it will be long before I will be re-reading Dinner at Rose's again too.

(I just finished reading it again.... even though it was only four weeks ago that I read it.... I feel the urge to read it again!!  28 January)

No comments:

Post a Comment